Skip to main content

Tip #4: Keep a “To Go” kit ready and easy to grab

Tip #4: Keep a “To Go” kit ready and easy to grab Your To Go kit should include two main groups of things. Photo courtesy of Pexels. One group will include paperwork, such as: Advance health-care directives such as a Living Will and copies of the medical order forms Common medical orders forms such as the DNR (Do-Not-Resuscitate) and POLST (Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) A medication list A copy of your medical power of attorney form It’s never a bad idea to have a copy of their ID card and insurance card as well The other main group of things to put inside of your To Go bag are items that will make the ER visit less boring for you and for your person — things that might make you both more comfortable. For you, items like a phone charger, book, snacks and water — maybe a small travel blanket or neck pillow. Also pack a pen or pencil and pad of paper to take notes and document important things. For your person, take something that makes them comfortable or reminds them of home — a blanket, stuffed animal, something to fidget with or a pillow perhaps. You may also want to consider a pair of glasses, a cheap watch or assistive hearing devices. Store your To Go bag in your car or right by your front door. You want it to be in a place where you can easily grab it. Anyone who cares for your person should know where the To Go kit is stored.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with Rob

 Rob:  Where's the relish?? Did you forget to buy some? Me: Yes, I bought a bottle, is it not in the fridge? Rob: No, I looked and it's not! Me: Not in the pantry? Rob: No, it's not there! Me: Well, I am sure I bought one. Soon the whole family is hunting everywhere for the relish. So strange, where could it have gone?? Well, I found the relish. It was on the counter, right next to his hotdogs - where HE put it, right before sending us all hunting for the relish!

Rob is furious!

  It's been two weeks since the doctor required Rob to stop driving for a month until they could do further testing. Which also meant he could not work. He is still early stages, and so far, has taken it really well. But then yesterday he was furious with me! I have driven him anywhere he wanted to go. He lost the nose piece on his glasses on Sunday, so I took him to glasses store to get it fixed, but it was already closed. I said I would take him on Monday, but lately I have been getting only 2-3 hours sleep, and by Monday afternoon, I had a blinding headache, I could barely see. He asked if I would take him to the glasses store, I told him about my headache, but that if I felt better after taking some Tylenol - I would take him. I ended up falling asleep, something I never do during the day, and slept past the store closing. I apologized when I woke up and said I would take him the next day. Well, he got up the next day furious at me. When I asked him what was wrong, he said, &q

Rob has left the building

He is angry with me. I am sick today, slept till noon after being awake all night, and feeling wretched. But he needed to go shopping, so I took him. He wanted to go to the Canadian Tire store for new wipers for my truck, as well as groceries.    So I pulled into Canadian Tire first, and he asked why. I said, "I thought you wanted to go here first?" OK whatever, he doesn't care, he says. But I walk in, and the store is packed with Christmas shoppers and the checkout lines are crazy! I feel like I am going to pass out, so I head for the exit, I can't deal with this! He says we don't have to go thru those lines, so I turn back, willing to try his way. But now he is furious and goes storming out! Ok, on to the grocery store. So, he is grumping all through the grocery store, keeping out of my line of vision, so I have to keep turning and look for him. It wore me out even more, and it was a relief to get out of the store. But as soon as we got home, he walked out, sayi